Saturday, July 10, 2004

Saturday 7/10 - Funeral Notice

It's early Saturday morning. I've found this blog to be a therapeutic tool for me to work through my grief. I've heard from a lot of you as well that you have appreciated this site, good and bad, to allow you to know what's been going on.

For those of you who have been through this, you know there are a lot of details. Although Kathy and I knew her disease was fatal, we had refused to let it get in the way of our day-to-day lives. Life went on.

But it also meant that we did not wrap things up as tidy as we could have. I'm just as glad anyway since this was a burden Kathy never had to carry. I've had a lot of help these past few days. Running errands, getting food, and starting to solve the thousand million details.

We have the service planned for Monday followed by a luncheon. I'm working on a slide show and we'll have a photo board too. Later we'll head on over to my house for the afternoon and evening.

I wrote the funeral notice that will run in the Sunday July 11 St. Louis Post-Dispatch. They are also planning to run a news Obituary.

MANSFIELD, KATHLEEN MARIE, of Ballwin, MO died July 8, 2004 after a long and courageous battle with scleroderma; best friend and spouse of Rodger; mother of Jonathan and Alexander; daughter of the late Frank and Ann Wilhite; sister of Barbara, Frank and Don Wilhite; sister-in-law of Nancee Wilhite; dear aunt, cousin and friend to many.

Kathleen was an outstanding professional city administrator of Creve Coeur Missouri who was loved and respected by all of her professional colleagues; former President of the St. Louis Area City Management Association; former board member of the Missouri City Management Association; enthusiastic Scouter with Boy Scouts of America.

Memorial Mass Monday July 12, 10 a.m. at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 17 Ann Ave., Valley Park, MO 63088 In Kathleen’s honor, a foundation will be established to promote education for the value of public service, youth participation and community involvement.


I'm also starting to work on Kathleen's foundation on public service. I need some technical help in the coming weeks. But I can assure you, this will be a lasting memory that wil best exemplify Kathleen's commitment to others.

Please be sure to post some memories in the "I remember Kathleen" entry. Don't forget to add your name if you'd like to have us know who you are. Thanks!

2 comments:

ID: Clergywomen and Clergywoman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ID: Clergywomen and Clergywoman said...

I am glad I found your blog. What a wonderful tribute. My constant prayer, even as a long-time christian preacher, is for God to reveal the other side of the "mirror," where so many of our beloved are waiting. And, you know what? God does allow us to glimpse that side, when we are ready and unafraid. Bless you for keeping the memories alive. Every one of us should have such a wonderful friend to remind others of those of us who passed this way and in so doing, made a definite difference. And your efforts are not in vain in the Lord. Here's to God's continued blessings and peace to you and to yours.