Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Wednesday 6/30 - Cincuenta Días

ICU Day #17 / Hospital Day #50

Unbelievably, this is the 50th day in the hospital for Kathleen. Hope that we're not looking at 50 more.

As Kathy continues to make progress, some days are just work days. Her blood work showed that she still has a blood infection. So to prevent further problems, they needed to move the lines she has in place in her arms, neck and chest. This takes time and certainly a toll on her. But they were moved by late afternoon. Some new bleeding but they can continue to give her medicine and her dialysis. Hopefully, they'll be able to beat this lingering infection.

Still haven't heard from the docs. I'll need to be more of a pest on Thursday to get them to talk to me. :-8 I suspect that there are major problems in her belly that will continue to cause her problems. They haven't solved it in 50 days so I guess they can try some more.

But with all that said, she is certainly looking a lot more peaceful. Some color has returned, her swelling has gone down, she's breathing more normally (at least for her) and there are more signs that she can start to move. But it still going to be some time before she can rejoin us.

I continue to read Kathy all of the cards you have been sending. I also read her the many emails. She's heard from college and high school friends, her church groups, her friends in city management and her extended family across the country.

Started to solve a related problem today. Got caught in St. Charles Rock Road traffic at lunch which was no fun. I hope she thinks this is worth it. When she became sick she broke her glasses. Of course, she's been using her same eye doc for 30 years so I had to track down his number and office location so they could be repaired.
Nothing that time and money won't fix. But she'll want to read your cards herself.

I'll be back at the hospital on Thursday. Will give an update as soon as I can.

No comments: